Wednesday, December 5, 2007

XLR8R Best of 2007



My favorite magazine, XLR8R, has posted some great best of 2007. Toping the list for artist of the year is Switch! Absolutely wicked. You can read about him here.

I thought I'd repost (via XLR8R's page) the Cameron Bird best of 2007. Good stuff here. Enjoy.

Best of 2007 by Cameron Bird for XLR8R

Best Artist


Late of the Pier is a band from Nottingham in the U.K. I saw them play a few times this summer. Each time my brain felt like it was melting.
Worst Artist

Open up a copy of NME, close your eyes, and stab a dagger into the page. There lies your answer.
Best Album
Panda Bear’s Person Pitch.
Worst Album

Definitely ours.
Best Single/12"

“Patrick 122” by Mr. Oizo.
Best Record Label

Italians Do It Better.
Best Live Event/Festival

Missing The Boredoms’ 77 drummers thing, which they did in NYC, was my biggest musical regret of this year.
Best City and/or Scene

If it wasn't so full of insecure, whinging little bitches, I would say our hometown of Melbourne is a freakin' awesome place to be a musician, artist, alcoholic, and sport's fan.
Best DJ

DJ /rupture is equal parts classicist and Renaissance man.
Best Music Trend
The use of the word “Balearic.” I have no idea what it means, but I like it.
Worst Music Trend

The concept of new rave.
What will be big in 2008?

Tay Zonday's “Chocolate Rain” will be Number One before April.
Biggest/Best Music-Related Beef of 2007

Bands that play to backing tracks. Blahhhhhh.
Best Music Hardware

I love my two Latin drum machines, the Roland TR-727 and the Yamaha RX21-L.
Best Music Software
Garageband doesn’t have to be a bad thing!
Electronic Gadget
I can’t go to sleep at night without playing golf on my PSP.
Best Visual Artist

Will Sweeney is my hero.
Best Shoe
Nike Air Force Lo-Cut–the classic that's comfortable.
Best Clothing Label

Romance Was Born, Sydney, Australia. Wild styles!
Best Style Trend

The return of color.
Worst Style Trend

Why in the fuck is everyone wearing those Palestinian scarves?
Best Media Item

R. Kelly's Trapped in the Closet, Parts 13-22. Someone on an R. Kelly fan site called him "the new Shakespeare." Ain't that the truth.
Best Videogame

“Me and My Katamari” for PSP. That shit is mind-blowing.

No comments: